Add Az/Alt filter to deep sky search

Hello

for my balcony I very precisely know in which Az/Alt area an object has to be to be visible. Half of the sky is not visible and some trees limit this further. A coordinate filter allowing to fitler with Az/Alt instead of Ra/Dec would help immensely to select visible objects, if you have a fixed location (like a balcony). This is already semi implemented with the “x minutes y° over the horizon” filter. This could be extended to “x minutes y° over the horizon and between z° and a° Az”. Even an upper limit for Alt could make sense, as my telescope has problems targeting objects very high up.

2 Likes

Hi Gor1lla, welcome to the forum!

I’m planning to refactor the whole search feature later this year, when I code the offline features, so I’ll probably add the option to filter by alt-az as you suggest as well :slight_smile:

I’ll make sure to announce the offline search everywhere so you’ll probably see the notification when it’s done. Thanks for your suggestion!

3 Likes

Hello:
I am in the same situation like Gor1lla, a balcony with limited visibility, so there is very interesting the possibility to filter by Az/Alt coordinates…
Now I use the transist visibility diagram to visually select the objects in my list.

1 Like

Now that the DSOs database is finished, I’ve bumped the priority of this and other features quite a bit. Custom horizons / elevation profiles are coming hopefully before the EOY :slight_smile: