Could you add a "dim" or "black" the non-framed area option?

Firstly, thank you so much for Telescopius. As is, it’s an amazing website and people such as yourself who just give freely to the community are brilliant.

I have had a thought as to simple ways the framing experience could be improved as it’s surprising how much focusing on the target can make it appear different.

Would it be possible to add a toggle to dim or black out the background around the framed area? Only show the framed image and allow it to be rotated to landscape/portrait?

See imgur for my crappy example!

Standard framing: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Framing with black background and rotated makes it look very different: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Just an idea!

Seconded, I would also like this!

This is a great idea, I have just added it to the roadmap! I’ll make sure to update this topic when it’s done :slight_smile:

Work in progress :slight_smile:

And now it’s live! Look for the “External dimming” option in the General settings panel.

Please note this feature is available starting at version 20230504. If you have an earlier version and want to see this ASAP, please clear your browser cache for telescopius.com and try again.

As per the possibility to rotate to landscape/portrait, I’ll be adding that feature in a future version.

Wow, awesome thanks for adding this! It really is surprising how much of a difference this makes to framing. Perfect implementation! though the words External Dimming do not appear for me, just the lightbulb icon.

See here: https://imgur.com/a/91yKqWi

That’s a cache error. It should be fixed automatically soon, but if it doesn’t, clearing your browser cache for telescopius.com should do the trick. Sorry for that!