Local horizon mask from photosphere?

Any chance of being able to use a photosphere to generate a custom horizon mask? This is one of my observing locations, where the sky is black and all my terrestrial obstructions are green. I’m already doing this in stellarium, but it’d be nice to do it in telescopius too.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

This feature is already on the backlog. Probably I’ll take care of this after I’ve reworked the search using the new targets database. I’ll let you know when it’s done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if it is kind of the same or if I should open another feature suggestion.

Instead of the full mask, maybe just a textile like in Nina or Stellarium for a “custom/personal” horizon.
Not having either the mask or textile is the only reason I need to go into NINA to check what targets are available to me.

Sorry for the late reply. I was very busy finishing the next big upgrade coming Monday, in which I’ll replace the whole DSO database with a much larger and improved version that will even work when we are offline.

The textile option is probably what we’ll code first. Now that the big blocking upgrade is out of the way I’ll most likely bump the priority of this feature.

Hi,

After ‘discovering’ the horizon in NINA and Stellarium, I’m also interested in this feature. From my point of view, it would be OK to draw the same line based on the angle value accompanied by altitude provided in a text file.

Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

Martha

Coming soon…

2 Likes

This feature is now live as of version 231226 :slight_smile:

To enable it, you need to edit your current location and set the custom horizon using the same AZ ALT format used in NINA. For example:

And the result:

2 Likes

Hello! Thank you so much for this update. I have been looking for something like this long time ago. However, I enter now the page and the option to edit the horizon does not appear. Not sure if the update takes a few days or if it is because I am looking at the spanish version of the page… Do I have to do anything else?
Cheers

Hi Juan,

Both the English and Spanish versions have this feature. Please double check which version you are running - you can find the version number right under the copyright notice, at the far bottom right of the page. This feature is in the latest version 231226.

Updates usually run automatically with some delay. If you are running a previous version, you should get an upgrade link right next to the version number to install the latest version right away.

Let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

Hello!
I has worked perfectly… Maybe I had not refreshed the cached webpage or something like that.
Now your application is even more powerful. Thanks.
By the way, the pictures we can upload are used for the virtual telescope? I have not uploaded many because I thought it just as a way to show other people, give likes and all that, but I have a few nebulae that in virtual telescope appear almost black, and selecting them could improve this…
Thanks again

There are plans to show user pictures in the Telescope Simulator. In fact, the code is already there for some tests we did in the past, so I might as well create a block in the TS to let users choose which picture to display over the default background. I have just bumped the priority of this issue to see what I can do soon.

At any rate, users can also browse all pictures of any given target in a couple of different ways, for example by using the name filter in Astrophotography > Filters.

In other words, even if pictures are not used inside the TS, users can find them when checking specific targets outside of the TS, so I encourage you to upload your pictures if you believe they can help fellow astronomers :slight_smile:

Clear skies, and a wonderful 2024!

Excellent, Sebastian, thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like