Search issue when looking for a specific target

I have been having issues when searching for targets lately. For example, go to the search field in the upper right corner and search for “M101”. Telescopius will go to M1. If you search for “Pinwheel” and select “Pinwheel Galaxy M101”, it will again go to M1. I have had similar issues with other targets, although I do not have the specifics.

I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to reach out if you need more information.

Best.
Tim.

Hi Tim, thanks for reporting this bug!

Several people have reached to me regarding this issue but it’s proving really hard to debug. Most of the time this kind of behavior is caused by connection issues, showing a first set of results for the first few characters typed (M1) and failing to make the second request to make the full search (M101).

I’ve just tried both searches (M101 and Pinwheel) and here are the results. In both cases, selecting the first result of the list takes me to M101 as expected.

Searching for M1, then M101:

Searching for M1, then Pinwheel:

Is this any different to what you are doing? Maybe I’m missing some different interaction? Any extra info would be helpful to understand what’s going on, thank you!

Hey Sebastian:

I can appreciate how hard this must be to debug. Been there…

What seems really strange is that when I searched for “Pinwheel” I then selected Pinwheel Galaxy from the drop down with the mouse, and it still went to M1. So I’m sure it wasn’t that I fat-fingered it, or that my connection speed (filling in the rest of the search) was the issue.

What is really strange is that I tried it again 20 minutes later and it worked!!! Crazy, right?

Like I said, this isn’t the first time I have had issues, but I don’t have the details of those examples. If you want to put this on hold until I can send more examples that is certainly fine.

I appreciate your help!
Tim.

1 Like

Hi Sebastian. Unfortunately this bug look unresolved. I’ve serached for M96, it appears as M96 in the http bar but it shows M9. I’ve already restart Firefox 89.0 (64-bit), deleted site data and it does not work.
Telescopius is set up as english.

On Edge browser and mobile version the search works fine so I suppose it is a Firefox issue

Hi Alvaro. I’m trying to reproduce this issue but I’m afraid I can’t find how to do it.

As you can see in the following screenshot, I’ve tried:

• Typing m9, scrolling, clicking on M96 - works as expected
  • Typing m96, using arrow keys + enter - works as expected
  • Typing m9, using arrow keys + enter - works as expected

Can you let me know the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue? Thanks.

Screen Recording 2021-07-06 at 17.04.42-2

Hi Sebastian. Thank you for checking the issue. I’m unable to reproduce it, now it just works fine.

I suppose it has something to do with site updates or with firefox navigator .

In case it happens again I’ll check it carefully to see how to solve it.

Regards

1 Like